Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pasta Alla Carbonara


I love this fancy sounding pasta. My dad served his mission in Italy, and I just LOVE the way he says Pasta Alla Carbonara (imagine heavy Italian accent). It's so cute and funny! Growing up, when my mom was out of town or busy with church meetings, my dad would almost always make the same thing for us kids for dinner. Mmmm... How can you go wrong with bacon and cheese on pasta!? If you haven't tried it you should. You just cook spaghetti noodles, drain them. Then, crack a couple eggs on the hot noodles, stir... then top with bacon crumbles, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Voila! (I think that's what they say in Italian??... or is that french? Who cares!)

I made this for dinner tonight and I totally melted. I melted for 2 reasons. One... because its SUPER yummy. Two... because it made me think of my dad. Do any of you have those dishes that you taste and the just bring back a really good (or maybe bad :/) memory? This pasta definitely reminds me of my dad probably more than anything. I like him! It's almost Father's Day... so I guess that makes this post appropriate. 

I love my dad. One of my favorite things about him is the person he becomes when he is around water. It's so funny... he just glows anytime we go to the pool! Even better than the pool... the ocean! My dad grew up in Orange County and he really does love the beach. I can't really think of anything that makes him happier, except maybe his favorite daughter. :) (just kidding) Oh yeah.. second favorite thing... that he STILL keeps his scuba diving license that he got in 1970 sumthin' in his wallet. It never expires, can you believe it?! I guess back in the day those things had no expiration date. Cute. :)

4 comments: