Thursday, May 19, 2011

Just write.

 Since I have been in college, my goal has been to become "a writer." The definition of that phrase is difficult to come up with. However, I have been trying. Sometimes, I think... "I am a genius. Did I really just write that? Maybe I can be a writer." Other times... and probably a lot more often than not, I think... "What am I doing? I can't be a writer. I don't know how to do this. It is too hard." 

Today... I have had both of those thoughts. I am writing a paper about true womanhood in Pauline Hopkins' Contending Forces. Interesting, right? Well... no. That book was boring and way too long. Regardless of the boring nature of this book, this paper still has to be turned in at 11:59 pm tonight. It is amazing how many times I have switched back and forth from "I am a genius. Did I really just write that? Maybe I can be a writer" to "What am I doing? I can't be a writer. I don't know how to do this. It is too hard" in the last two hours.

Through all this switching, I received a short text from my husband. "Just write. If you like it, someone else will too."  Of course! Love that I have a supporting husband who just tells me what I need to hear. He has been so awesome through all this writing I have been working on in the last 2 years. I love him for being willing to sit down with me as I try to think of an introduction or work through a complicated thesis. He is awesome! Maybe he doesn't really care, but... if he doesn't... he does a great job pretending and I AM thankful! 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I have this battle every time I sit down to write. I'm either a literary genius or an uneducated wannabe who strings ill fitting words together.
    It's all part of being an English Major I suppose!

    ReplyDelete